March 13, 2014

by Richard Maurer
revised 3/13/2014

If your shower project will require a building permit, the shower receptor waterproofing will be inspected and approved by a plumbing inspector. Most building departments use one of the two national plumbing codes. The most prevalent is the International Plumbing Code (IPC), which is the plumbing portion of the International Code Council (IIC).

The other national plumbing code is the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) which is administered and written by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). States and municipalities may also have their own code requirements, but those are generally modeled after one of the national code authorities. You should be aware of the plumbing authority in your area to avoid having an inspector reject your project.

IAPMO has UPC file numbers that indicate a product has been reviewed and meets requirements for an application. Chloraloy, Noble Deck, RichPan and all NobleSeal sheets have UPC files. Copies are available in the Resources section of Noble Company's website.

The IPC does not have listings for traditional shower pans membranes like PVC or CPE. Those products must meet relevant ASTM Standards (ASTM D4551 and D4068 respectively). The 2009 IPC includes thin-bed, bonded waterproofing membranes for shower receptor waterproofing. Products must be tested to ANSI A118.10 by an “approved laboratory” and get a PMG listing from the ICC . Noble sheet membranes meet those requirements and are listed.

In order to avoid delays and other problems, it is good practice to confirm with local plumbing code authorities before you install a shower pan.